Monday, December 15, 2008

Love/Hate Obsession On Call The Editor

In Defense of Call the Editor

I am one of the regular readers of “Call the Editor” in the local newspapers. I guess I am motivated by a love/hate obsession.

On the love side, I support the freedom that anyone can express their opinion regardless of any knowledge on the subject, omitting any statements of facts about their claims, and get into print cheap shots at just about anyone. I also acknowledge this is the only way some people can get their story into print quickly while the incident is current.

On the hate side, I know just before I turn to that page one or more of the comments will stir up feelings of anger, pity, or disgust, and even the desire to answer with my own call the editor comments (which I have not done yet). I do have a problem with anonymous comments attacking a person by name.

As I get older I have come to the conclusion that most people will judge comments in “Call the Editor” on merit rather than emotion. I do not believe they sway people’s opinion very much either way on any subject. Perhaps their best offering is information on upcoming events and feedback on events that just happened. In any event I support and will continue to read, “Call the Editor”.

No comments: